Monday, November 15, 2004

Linux

Its been a month and half since I have completely switched over to Linux.

It all started when I installed Fedora Core 2. There is bug in FC2 which destroys the Windows boot loader. The timing of this was critical, our submissions were going on and we had to show our project. And most of the project development was done at my computer, so everything was set up.
I tried to re-install, but to no avail. I couldn't even boot into old Windows 98.

We managed somehow in the end, not without some headache. Since then I installed Mandrake 10, and did not look back since then. I can do all my activities, connect to Internet, chat, IM, e-mail, write Cd's, use usb drives. Play MP3's, watch VCD's and all. And, the system has not crashed even once, no questions about worms or viruses. Plus, it has detected my HT processor and boots into the 2.6.7 smp kernel. Cool.

I didn't realize how much I had got used to Mandrake until I sat on a Windows desktop a few days back, and it felt really strange clicking the start button. And I really missed the terminal.

With Mandrake, now I can say with confidence that not a single pirated program runs on my system. How many of you can say that?

2 Comments:

Blogger Dinesh said...

i had an query regarding Linux
office.org works as the substitute for microsoft office
but the files created with office.org doesn't work on windows platform i.e. with microsoft office
same is the case with many other softwares
so is there any solution for this?
also the webdesigning tool like frontpage is not provided in linux
if those problems get solved, i'd def switch to LINUX
bye
all d best for exams

5:29 AM  
Blogger Devendra said...

Hi,
This is my personal Blog, not a question answer forum.

Anyways, you can save .doc files in Open Office. Which do open in MS Office. You have to explicitly save in the .doc format.

Regarding web editors, there are plenty, eg. Qt.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home