Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The Tricolour

It surprises me that in India we don't have the practice of hoisting the National flag in private residences, window sills, factories and all.

Lots of thoughts flashed by today during the flag hoisting ceremony today. I remembered a scene in Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 where a woman in US places a large flag in her window sill. Her son had lost his life in Iraq. I also remembered a Popeye cartoon that I had seen long time back, where Popeye is cleaning windows, and some fight going on the flag pole. Some Archie comic strip.

Tried to see if any movement or something was going on in regards to this.
I came across the Flag Code of India

It does allow public to display the flag. On window sills too. Although I disagree with some conditions like not displaying it on vehicles, ships and railways and the ban on printing it on dresses and stuff. Also the compulsion of use of hand spun cloth seems unreasonable.

The code does not mention any method of storage of flag in some specific manner.

So, anybody game to displaying the tricolour on their window sills?






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home