Friday, December 10, 2004

FreeBSD

Well, just completed installation of FreeBSD 5.2.1 on my computers, and it rocks...

It boots in quarter of time required to start Mandrake. System shutdown is even faster. The installation is text based, but if you have installed Debian or Slackware before, it will be a breeze.

There is some things with partitioning though. fdisk only showed my primary partition of 10 GB and the rest of the block as extended of 27GB. So, I had to transfer everything from my primary partition to other partitions. I had done this a couple of days ago, but I didn't want to unnecessarily mess up my system.

Today, I downloaded its full manual, and went through its installation procedure. Basically one has to allocate a full partition to FreeBSD, and then create multiple partitions within that partition. Also, there is an option of not installing the boot record, which meant that I could do installation without worry. I also had for backup MDK Cd's, and I wasn't going to touch the extended partitions.

After answering millions of questions from package management to X11 configuration, the installation was finally complete. Onto configuration of LILO. Added 'other=/dev/hda1 label="freebsd"' crossed my fingers and restarted.

And FreeBSD started with a snap. Some problems with graphics card and monitor. KDE was running fine, but the refresh rate was to low. Changing the settings from the Control Center had no effect. Then, after changing the monitor type, the refresh rate was correctly set, although the resolution is still wrong(even when I set 800x600, it still uses 1024x768). I think that maybe the problem with the graphics card driver, as I had used generic i810 driver.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dinesh said...

Nice to see your Blog bloomin up again..

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home