Friday, November 19, 2004

I am going to be an Engineer...

I am depressed. Deeply distressed.Totally helpless.

The more I study, I get a feeling that less I know. A distinct feeling goes through my heart that in my two years of engineering, I have learned absolutely nothing. I cannot apply the mathematics that I have learned. Physics, the mother of all sciences, seems like a distant bad dream. Integration and differentiation are alien to me. Electronics transistors, capacitors I know nothing. Although I must have studied them in 11th, 12th, FE and SE.

What am I turning into? Just learn everything for six months and then start afresh every six months? Give exams which check your memory and presentation skills?

Mathematics was my favorite subject. I used to love doing arithmetic. Enter 11th and 12th. All you had to do was to learn formulae and solve as many examples as possible on those. Learn 50 differentiation formulae, solve 1000 problems on those, few of them will come in exam and get marks. No practical problems were solved. Ditto for physics.

Engineering further aggravated this. M1, M2 and M3 we had to do the same thing, just mug up formulae and get marks.

The nightmare has come true. I know absolutely nothing of Fourier transforms. Sure, if I looked into a book I can remember back the formulae, even solve examples that are given in the book. But can I apply them? How the hell are things done in Video Encoding, JPEG encoding? What does "actually" happen?

We are all become Formuloholics. Know a formula, apply the formula, substitute values, take out the calculator and calculate the answer to the last decimal point.
Practically most of times we want to know just the estimates. A branch of mathematics called as Fermi Mathematics just deals with this. Problems like "How many strands of hair are there on the head."

Today, I make a resolve. And I do this in writing. I am not going to be an "dumb engineer" anymore. I don't want to face it again. It is time to wake up and take things in one's hand. Stop blaming anyone. Don't even think of blaming the education system or the syllabus. These are just excuses.

The foundation has grown rickety. Time to fix it now. Back to the basics. Bake to square one and build back things step by step. There is no other alternative.

So, the Duke kicks of the "Back to the Basics" campaign.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home